Saturday, May 23, 2009

Wall Art from Old CDs



As the media format known as the CD slowly slips into obsolescence, a lot people probably have stacks of dusty CD jewel cases sitting around.

After I had sold back most of my CD collection to Zia Records, I put the empty jewel cases and non-sellable ones in a pile and forgot about them. I didn't want to just throw them in the trash because, hey, there are some great memories connected to those piles of plastic.

Big Willie Style? Epic. Classic. Bienvenido a Miami.

So I decided I would make a picture out of my old CD cases. A lot of designs I saw online just consisted of people taking the actual CDs and pinning them in patterns to the wall. I thought this was kinda lame and junior-high looking. I wanted a full 3'x5', framed collage of all my old CD cases.

Most frame shops will charge around $300 to make such a frame, the main reasons being the weight of the jewel cases and the odd dimensions. So I did it myself.

Let me say up front -- this ended up costing me about $150, but I made a few mistakes and had to experiment with several designs before I came up with something that worked.

So here's how the frame is constructed if anyone wants to know:

Custom-cut Plexiglass sheets: $65 from local plastics manufacturer
Sign Standoffs (the 3 round metallic 'pin' looking things that hold the picture to the wall): $15 at Lowes
Half-inch width C-channel bar, custom cut (with hacksaw. that was fun...): $10 at Lowes
Authentic Zebra wood inserts (also custom cut by local wood dealer): $50, w/ scraps leftover.
Total Cost: $140.

The good thing about this frame is that it allows you to slide the CD cases in and out. You can arrange the CDs however you want or change the pattern to match the room or whatever.

The dimensions are: 45"w x 34"h. It is 8 jewel cases wide by 6 high, totalling 48 cases.
The zebrawood inserts are 2 1/4" h x 45" long x 3/8" thick.

Drawbacks: The signs standoffs must be installed exactly to the dimensions of the frame and because of standard wall stud spacing of 16", will require some heavy duty wall anchors. So remember: measure once, cut twice! Also, it takes a while to install and take down unlike normal picture frames.

The end result will be a modern-looking, one of a kind picture frame. And you can be 'green' and recycle your old CDs.

1 comment:

  1. Audio Adrenaline! Our walls would have similar designs. Underoath, relient k, TFK, Emery, Blindside, supertones, even and old school sonicflood album. Nicely done. I have wanted to do something like this except with all the Rush albums. just a dream for now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete